In Part 2 still more theatres that made Times Square a mecca for moviegoers.
The New York aka Globe Theater and the Big Apple
As the Times Square district deteriorated, the theaters began to reflect the times. By the time the New York/Globe was renamed The Big Apple the theater was reduced to a porn house.
Rko Palace – 1962
The Roxy – Called “The Cathedral of the Motion Picture”, The Roxy was THE theater on Broadway with a multi-tiered balconey and close to 6,000 seats!
With the decline in movie attendance in the 1950’s The Roxy closed it doors in 1960. Below is Gloria Swanson standing in the rubble of what was once The majestic Roxy Theater.
In the early 1950’s The Strand was renamed the Warner Theater and a few years later renamed the Warner Cinerama playing films like “Exodus” (see ad below). In 1963, the theater was equiped for 70MM films like “It’s A Mad, Mad , Mad, Mad World”, “The Greatest Story Ever Told” and “Camelot.” Another name change followed to the RKO Cinerama and then two screens were added turning the theater into a triplex with the names the Penthouse and the Orleans. The theater closed and was demolished in 1987.